Tuesday 1 December 2015

Leeds: Thought Bubble Festival 2015

There has been a monumental rise in the popularity of comic-cons in the last decade & we can quite confidently put that down to the phenomenal success of superhero movies & boxset TV culture. This is fantastic news for the majority (including myself), but what about the passionate comic book fans? Those who dedicated their life to giving the source material of today's most popular movies & shows are owed far more than the tiny corner of comic-cons that they've been shuffled in to. It's bizarre that at a COMIC-con, you can barley find the item they were built on . . . comics. 

This is where Thought Bubble Festival stands out, it has gone back to basics and hedged it's bets on their still being an audience who wish to flick through pages of art & stories. Their bet's pay off; this convention celebrates art, free thinking, writing & independence. From hosting The British Comic Awards to celebrating LGBT comics with the LGBTQ Comic Book Club, this really is a hive of creativity. This was my first year at the festival & I loved the feeling of discovery I got from the festival. I now have a reading list as long as my arm. 




The first stop for me, was the "poster foyer". As you may have figured from my New York Comic Con post, I am collector & huge fan poster art. Especially alternative film posters & limited illustrations. Until i visited here, I hadn't found a single convention in the UK that exhibits poster art. I picked up the amazing Back To The Future 30th anniversary art piece by the incredibly talented Paul Shipper.



Paul Shipper Studios - http://paulshipperstudio.com/ 

Moving away from the poster foyer, and into the New Dock Hall, I found myself wondering for nearly an hour browsing through all the books, comics & folders of original cartoons. The vibe was fantastic, the hall was really buzzing with conversation & passion. It feels so good to be amongst people who just want to geek out. 




A book called "Filmish" by Edward Ross had caught my eye & after reading the synopsis it was evident that this book was an absolute must for any film fan. It's an illustrated journey through film that analyses & discusses the impact that cinema has had on society & psychology. It's loaded with fantastic illustrations of cult & popular films. A truly original concept that I advice any film fan pick up. The list of referenced movies Is worth the conservative £12 price tag alone.





If your interested in checking out some of the books in this post, check out the links below:

It wouldn't be a City & Cinema post if I didn't tell you where to grab a decent coffee whilst at the convention. Cafe & Co brew up a mean coffee. Perfect place to relax for an hour after exploring the convention. 


Once again, I hope I've compelled you to grab your back pack & explore the world of comics. There's something out there for everyone & Thought Bubble is as good a place to start as any.

Dan x
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I'd really like to go to this kind of event, getting back to the comic book roots.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one would really be right up your street buddy. Awesome way to spend a day

      Delete
  2. This is amazing! I'm so jealous you went to this. Those film screen prints look awesome

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© City & Cinema. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig