Wednesday 25 November 2015

Maltby Street Market: Ropewalk SE1


I've lived in South East London my entire life, I know the SE postcode's pretty well. So I'm slightly ashamed to admit that the first of all the SE postcodes (SE1) had been an area that's alluded my step for 27 years as a Londoner. So a couple of Saturdays ago I'd woken up with no plans & decided I needed to try the famous Monty's Deli salt beef & pastrami sandwich. 

That's where my day of wondering began; under the railway arches of of Druid Street, Bermondsey. 



South of the river, between London & Tower Bridge has always felt like the real London to me. You can't move for authentic markets, cobbled streets & 16th century architecture. The area's history is so rich & you get the sense that not much has changed since the turn of the previous century. I LOVE IT.



EATS.


As mentioned in my intro to this post, the reason I strolled into Bermondsey was to eat at Monty's. I'd actually been recommended this place by "The Rev" - an extremely dapper at experienced SE native that I work with. Imagine the perfect mix between geezer & gentleman, Bill Nighy meets Ray Winston - that's The Rev.
Get the Reuben Special - It's a mix of hot pastrami & salt beef that literally melts in your mouth. The bread is incredible, I would have been happy taking a loaf of that home.


The humble "toasted cheese sandwich" as we call it here in the UK. Often made with cheddar and under the grill at home, it's easy to over look how inventive a damned tasty one of these can be. These guys do it best, simple yet hugely satisfying. What ever sandwich you choose, add bacon. Always add bacon. 



THE MARKET

Here's a small selection of snaps that really capture the vibe at Ropewalk market. It's loaded with hidden treasures such as Little Bird Gin, the perfect spot for locally brewed gin cocktails. 


Obviously, the market & the small business's inhabiting it's arch's have taken great care in building their image. The popular up-cycled & semi-industrial stylings of the stalls perfectly sit in it's red brick surroundings. There's no mistaking that you're in special part of London. 


So, hop on a train to London Bridge, walk 10 minutes down Tooley Street & get yourself lost in Ropewalk & Maltby Street markets.

I'm always on the look out for new markets to visit & undiscovered labyrinths of London, or any city for that matter. Let me know where I should be going.

Dan x 

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. So glad I found your blog, I love it! I'll be keeping my eye out for more places to visit in London :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn! I totally missed this comment!

      Thanks so much for checking the blog, I'm glad you're enjoying it :) I'll have something up about Crystal Palace next. Another gem in London's crown.

      Delete

© City & Cinema. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig