Saturday 3 October 2015

HAIL MACBETH . . . & whiskey


This is the first of my post's about film. I hope to make at least 50% of my blog film, TV & pop culture related, as this is what I'm truly passionate about. 

A few weeks ago, 3 days before it's international release, I was lucky enough to attend a preview screening of Macbeth at the Picture House Central in Piccadilly. The screening was accompanied by a whiskey tasting session & cocktail evening - sounds perfect right? Well, it bloody well was. 


Picture House are a chain of cinemas in London that clearly pride themselves on their love for movies & the experience we have viewing them. In an industry recovering from declining ticket & home video sales, it's chains like Picture House that are serving the die hard film fans by creating incredible spaces that reward our efforts to see films there. The bar & cafe areas are designed with focus on social space & seating, encouraging conversation & comfort.





The evening was kicked off in the bar where Singleton Spey Cascade & Talisker Skye treated us a number of cocktails laced with their single malt whiskey's. What better way to get you in the Scottish spirit than with, well, Scottish spirits. 



Macbeth: Mini Review

Having only ever seen Roman Polanski's Macbeth in school, it's hard for me compare this film to it's other predecessors. So the most obvious visual comparison is that modern filming techniques have allowed for a far more vivid imagining of this most well known of Shakespearean tails. 



It's almost nightmarish & cerebral in tone, as we see Macbeth's psychosis unravel so brutally throughout the film. Fassbenders performance is so unsettling & unhinged that we've been given a truly believable character in Macbeth. I can tell you now, your skin will shiver when he delivers his agonising monologues. His wide-eyed & chaotic acting is perfectly accented by the bleak & misty location in which the film is set. Which brings me to what I believe is best about this film - the cinematography. My word, this film is stunning to look at. So much so, that I would have been happy watching it with the sound off.

I'd fully recommend seeing this film on the big screen, it's visual aspects & ominous music will only enhance your experience. Although, if you are not well educated on Shakespearean language then you may get a little lost with dialogue & story as I did.

4
* * * *

For a far more educated review, read this fantastic piece by Robbie Collin who hosted the event.

Let me know what you thought of the film & any other movie you've seen for that matter. 

Dan x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© City & Cinema. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig